Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Impro Theatre

Ever since high school, I have been a fan of improvisational comedy. Back then, I would watch "Whose Line is it Anyway?" and think it was the funniest thing I had ever seen. Well, this entry is not for "Whose Line" (though a future one might be!) With this entry, I would like to write about one of my favorite improv troupes: Impro Theatre.

Impro Theatre is based in Los Angeles. Their home-base is a small theater space in Los Feliz, but many of their shows are performed all over the area. I have seen them perform at the Acme Theater in Hollywood, the Falcon Theater in Burbank, at UC Irvine, and various other places.

Unlike "Whose Line," which focuses on short form (games and scenes that last about 5 minutes or so), Impro specializes in long form improv. In long form, games are usually not utilized and scenes can go on for an extended period of time. In particular, Impro specializes in narrative long form. Basically, they improvise plays. Not only that, but they do it in the style of various famous genres, authors, or playwrights. Some of their shows include Western Unscripted, Jane Austin Unscripted, Chekov Unscripted, and Fairy Tale Unscripted. Personally my two favorite things that they do are Twilight Zone Unscripted and Sondheim Unscripted.

For their Twilight Zone show, Impro gets a simple suggestion and then creates an original "episode" of the Twilight Zone, complete with the theme song, a cold open scene, and an introductory monologue. It is amazing the things that they come up with. I have seen them do that show at least five times now, and it never gets old. A typical performance has them creating three to four individual episodes.



Sondheim Unscripted, on the other hand, takes one suggestion and turns it into a two hour performance, with an intermission in the middle. For this show, a live pianist improvises along with the performers. When he starts playing, the actors bust out into song. The show is absolutely incredible. I do improv myself, and having taken a class in musical improv I can tell you, it's not easy. Not only does Impro pull it off, they pull it off WELL. AND attempt to sing in the style of a Sondheim musical at the same time, complete with complex melodies and harmonies.

Basically, whether you are an improviser or not, if you appreciate creativity and live performance you owe it to yourself to check out Impro Theatre. I was so inspired by them that I signed up to take several classes with them. Through the classes and the number of shows I have attended, I've gotten to know several of the troupe members including the artistic director Dan O'Conner, Lisa Frederickson, Brian Jones, Ryan Smith and Nick Massouh. They are all wonderful, nice people. If you live in the LA area their show is a must see, and if you've been thinking of taking improv classes I'd highly recommend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment